Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bonus! A Healthy Recipe

I realize this blog is about working out, not food (and I realize I make EVERYTHING about food!), but I made turkey meatballs and whole wheat pasta the other night, and it was so yummy, I had to share! Spaghetti and meatballs is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. I even love how it looks: yummy swirls of pasta topped with red sauce and juicy balls of meat, topped with glorious grated cheese! I think this healthier version is JUST as delicious - and definitely easy enough for any cook to make (it doesn't even take that long).

INGREDIENTS:
For the meatballs:
1 package ground turkey (I used the 93% fat version; there are 99% fat free versions, but when you're making meatballs, you want a LITTLE fat)
~1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 egg
chopped parsley
~1/2 cup grated parmesan
~1/4 cup water
salt and pepper
olive oil

For the pasta and sauce (obviously you could use jarred marinara sauce, but making your own is super easy):
1/2 box whole wheat pasta (I used linguine)
olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large can tomatoes, with all juices - chopped or crushed by hand (I actually use Pomi brand, which is in sort of a cardboard box thing, and I use half chopped tomatoes and half strained tomatoes, because I like it still semi-chunky and rustic, not too smooth)
dried oregano
crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
glug of red wine (optional)

To make it:
In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients and mush together with your hands. Don't over-mix. Form into golf ball sized meatballs and set aside. Heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook each meatball till it's browned, then flip and brown the other side. When meatballs are browned, set aside.

While meatballs are browning, make the sauce. Heat a little olive oil in a sauce pot. Add onion and carrot. Add a little salt, pepper, the red pepper flakes, and oregano. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften. Add tomatoes and red wine and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook. When meatballs are done, add them to the sauce so they can finish cooking all the way though. Re-cover and cook for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

Boil the noodles till al dente. Drain and serve meatballs and sauce on top. Top with more Parmesan.

I served this with salad and it was DELISH! I think I actually PREFER turkey meatballs to traditional beef ones, because they're more tender. Beef has a tendency to get a little tough, especially when it's lean.

Hope this inspires a delightful meal!

1 comment:

  1. This meal sounds amazing! I definitely want to try it soon. Keep the healthy recipes coming. I love the idea of sharing recipes - and fitness routines, inspiration, funny memes and whatever else - in addition to work out stories on here.

    ReplyDelete